Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Garry Bjorkland Half-Marathon 2012 "Race" Recap

This wasn't really a race for me.  I was supposed to run the full marathon, but was injured.  So what did I do?  One week before, I begged the race director to let me step down in distance (usually against their policy because the half is the more popular race) so I could run with my dad and my sister in what is likely to be my dad's last half-marathon.  They were wonderfully nice and let me in (thank you Grandma's Marathon race management!!!)

For those who don't know, my dad was diagnosed with primary myelofibrosis several years ago.  Basically, it's a bone marrow disorder that causes a blood cancer.  He is on oral chemotherapy meds and manages pretty well on a day-to-day basis.  But he fatigues REALLY easily.  And he's a runner. 

At his fastest, he ran marathons under 3 hours.  Dad's goal for this race was to finish under the cut-off time of 3 hours, 4 minutes.  Quite a change of pace for him.  My and my sister's goal was to help dad reach his goal. 

Well, we are happy to report that we did it!  It was a PU (Personal Ugly- a term coined by my dad) for all of us, but we finished the only race where we've all run together under our goal time- 2:53:42. 

I wish my brain could have taken pictures as we were running along the course... instead, here are the pics from the race photography peeps...

At the start
Lift bridge in the background...I love Duluth...
My Dad!
Getting ready for our big finish.  One of my favorite pictures.
The finish line!!!
Three happy finishers!
LOVE this picture!  If only Dad weren't so tired...






1 comment:

  1. I just love those photos; you are all an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete