Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Bix 7 Race Report




Finishing the Quad-City Times Bix 7
OK, so I didn't really race so much as just run easy.  I just completed my first 70.3 triathlon six days before Bix and my legs were still tired.  I wasn't even sure I'd run the whole seven miles, as there is an option to run the Quick Bix (2 miles) and you don't even have to decide until you reach the turnaround. 

This race was huge!  18,057 in a seven mile race means you don't ever really get out of the crowd to hit your own stride.  I really need to learn to lie about my predicted finishing time like everyone else so I get a better starting corral.  I had planned on taking it pretty easy, but I hadn't planned on dodging people for 6 of the 7 miles.  I was also forced to take two walking breaks up hills when I was boxed in by other people that had decided to walk up the hill. 

Just before mile 6, I was able to break out of the crowd a little bit and had my fastest mile split of 9:34.  My finishing time was 1:16:48. 
Notice I was 277th in my age group.  Considering Catherine Ndereba won my age group, that's not too shabby!

No comments:

Post a Comment