Thursday, July 21, 2011

Race Prep - Three More Days

I did my last workout for the week today.  Two days of rest, then the race.  I'm going to have to find something to do with myself tomorrow so I don't sit and stew.  Saturday I'll be busy traveling, going to the expo, and doing my last pre-race checks.

Over the past few days I accomplished the following race prep-week details:

1. Revised generic race day list for this specific event
2. Made sure all race gear was clean
3. Starting amassing large pile of race gear
4. Figured out my nutrition plan and race strategy
5. Made a batch of energy bars  (Recipe here.  These are delicious!)
6. Put the computer on the new bike, velcro-ed down the aero drink bracket, and adjusted the reach to the brake levers. 

Seriously, how much crap can a person need for one race?
 

My sister has informed me that she definitely will not be racing on Sunday.  While this is disappointing, it means I get to have my own personal sherpa!  She is going to packet pickup and the expo with me and will also be going to the start with me so that Dave & Liam don't have to get up so early.

Some of you may be wondering about the aforementioned race strategy.  It's super-complicated (NOT!- does anyone still say that?) and goes like this:
A. Just get through the swim.
B. Don't go too hard on the bike.  Remember there's still a half-marathon after that.  Remember to use high cadence to help save legs, 85-90 rpm.
C. Don't start out too fast on the run.  If Garmin pace is too fast at the start, use a run/walk strategy to save my legs. 

Dave woke up this morning and said he had bilateral swollen lymph nodes and a sore throat.  He just emailed me from work and said he now is sore and has a fever.  Dude, stay away from me!  No offense, dear, but I cannot afford to get sick!  I had started to get a little stuffy earlier in the week so I started taking Airborne on Monday.  I think I'll get another pack and continue taking it through Saturday. 

Last, a totally random thought:  Does your knee have a sensitive spot like the funny bone on your elbow?  I found one today!  It was all I could do not to swear in front of Liam.  Man, that hurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment