Saturday, June 4, 2011

Sugar Free Challenge: Day Four

I had a couple things today that didn't quite meet the sugar-free standard.  The bread in both my lunch and supper had added sugar.  But knowing how much sugar actually goes into a loaf of bread (around 1 TBSP per loaf ), I don't feel too bad about how I did today. 

Breakfast: I remembered today that I have frozen berries in the freezer.  I'm really glad I did!  The berries were so much better in my morning oatmeal.  The cinnamon/vanilla version was good, but reminded me of a winter and made me want to hibernate.  The berry version tastes summery and light.  And, if you were trying to convince kids to eat oatmeal by making it a neon color (ala Trix yogurt- that stuff is weird), berries accomplish that as well.  My blueberry version this morning was a deep purple.
Oatmeal with pecan milk & blueberries
Coffee with whole milk


Lunch: I was lucky enough to get to a favorite eating spot- the St. Peter Food Co-op & Deli.  (My husband calls it healthy hippie food.)  It was delicious! 
Greek sandwich (whole wheat bread, cheese, spinach, carrots, tomato, artichoke hearts, & olives)
Two-bean Balsamic Salad (black beans, chickpeas, garlic, red onion, parsley, olive oil & balsamic vinegar)
Basmati Salad (rice, red pepper, celery, raisins, cashews, & spices)
Coconut water

Snacks:  
Hummus and pita chips
Peach

Dinner:  I was actually hungry for meat, odd for me.  I figure my body either need the protein or the iron. 
Locally produced cheddar cheese
Bread
Garlic summer sausage   

All in all, not more than a few grams of added sugars so not too bad a day.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like some great meals! I was suprised about the hidden sugars too. I cut out bread because of it for the first couple days, then I found a whole wheat sourdough with no sugar :) I was thrilled, lol! Hope the rest of the challenge went well!

    ReplyDelete