Sunday, June 12, 2011

Sugar Free Challenge Day 10 & What I Have Learned

Day 10: Again, the bread is my achilles heel.
Breakfast: Oatmeal with pecan milk & strawberries, coffee with whole milk
Lunch: Wrap from grocery store deli, coconut water, naan & hummus
Dinner: Enchiladas (corn tortillas, ground beef, poblano peppers, onions, cheese & homemade sauce), spinach salad, black bean salad
Snacks: Cheese & triscuits, wine

What I have learned from the Sugar-free Challenge:

1.  I already eat a diet fairly low in added sugar.  I didn't have to do much adjusting on the the meals I was able to keep sugar-free. 
2.  There are a lot of things that have sneaky added sugar in them.  Salad dressings, spice mixes, peanut butter, tortilla chips...the list could go on and on. 
3.  I really like bread and I'm not willing to give it up.  That was really the only thing I wouldn't want to do without.  Sure, my morning oatmeal tastes a little better with a bit of agave nectar, but it's okay without.  However, unless I start baking all my own bread (a good idea, but not feasible), I can't find bread in my one-grocery store/ no bakery town that does not have added sugar. 
4.  I can't do without energy gels for long run fuel.  Whether I use a product like Gu, or just plain old honey, I need the fuel mid-run.  I just can't chew dried fruit while running.  Also, the stickiness dried fruit leaves in my mouth is far worse than a sports gel. Sure, there are definitely parts of the year that I don't need these, but I can't imagine a 20-mile run without them.

Going completely sugar-free is not for me.  I can, however, see myself repeating this challenge occasionally just to make sure I'm keeping my sugar consumption in check.  Everything in moderation, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment