Friday, May 13, 2011

Sugar Free Challenge

I just signed up for a 10-Day Sugar Free Challenge over at RunToTheFinish!

Get the details by clicking here.  See some tips for going sugar free at Spoonful of Sugarfree by clicking here.


It runs from June 1-10 so I have some time to get the sugar out of my house and get used to the idea.  I don't eat a lot of sweet stuff on a regular basis but there are a few things I'm going to have to change.
     *The dried cranberries on my morning oatmeal are sweetened
     *The agave nectar I add to my oatmeal
     * I need to check all my spice blends for sugar
     * I suppose wine counts as fruit juice.  Crap.

There are a few things I'm not going to change, but there are probably only one or two days that will be affected during the challenge.  
     *I am training for a marathon and a half-ironman distance triathlon.  I need
     Gu for long workouts.
     *My homemade energy bars contain honey.  Since I only eat these to fuel
     (or recover from) long workouts, I am not cutting these out either. 

Do I have sugar in my house?  Yes. Regular, brown, powdered, turbinado, honey, agave nectar, and molasses. 
Do I bake a lot of sweets? No.  But I did make a delicious lemon-raspberry cake with lemon buttercream and fondant jungle animals for my son's first birthday.  And the rhubarb is almost ready to harvest so there WILL be rhubarb pie in my future. 
Do I eat sugar daily?  Yes, I add sweetened dried cranberries and agave nectar to my morning oatmeal.
Do I feed my son sweet treats? I can count on one hand the number of times he has eaten cake, cookies or other baked goods in his one year of life.  He does eat Annie's Bunny Grahams on a fairly regular basis.  

I don't plan on going sugar-free as a lifestyle.  I believe in everything in moderation.  There are a lot of yummy things I would miss out on by never allowing myself to eat sugar again.  I just want to see if I can do this and if it affects how I feel.  I may have to try it again on my own when I'm not in the middle of racing season to see if I can truly go sugar-free for 10 days. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment